BowFlex

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Getting Older?

It's never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot

Today I ran about 7.5 miles. I was suppose to run 10 miles today but, I was made late by a car accident on the freeway. Yes, even at 5:15 in the morning, someone's life can be irrevocably changed. I pray that the folks in the accident are OK and can recover what they've lost.

Anyway, while I was running this morning I started thinking about my pursuit for the elusive 3:20 I need to qualify for Boston. (If I were to run Boston before 2010 the requirement would be 3:15) Is this something I have in me? Am I getting too old to really push myself for faster times? 3:20 would require me to run some 55 minutes faster than my fastest marathon, Chicago 2005. Believe me I had my doubts.

Then I see this quote from George Eliot - "It's never too late to be what you might have been". She's got a point. I can keep moving forward toward the goal. I'm not too old to demonstrate this level of athleticism. I have so many strong runners around me who have improved despite their age. They believe in themselves and they let nothing get in the way. These folks persuade me I can do the same. I believe it. So I pursue it. Never, never stop running.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Quote! And Yes, its NEVER to late. I believe in you too. Always - m

Disqus for The Hard Runner's Run