BowFlex

Friday, October 19, 2007

Denver Marathon - Freakin', Freezin' Rain

What can I say about the Denver Marathon on Sunday, October 14, 2007? A lot of things can be said. Sure there was Gatorade and water every two miles or so and the usual amenities. Bands conspicuously absent, hmmm. Even a water stop at 26 miles…26 miles. I was so strong that I skipped that one. That would prove to be my only strength that day. The rain, the freakin’ freezin’ rain was pouring early on Sunday. We all hoped it would stop soon. In fact, moments before the start, the rain did let up but, we all kept on our plastic bags and Saturn logo ponchos, just in case. Those dang exhibitors, always wanting you to “register to win” a car or something just to get a thin poncho to protect yourself from the freakin’ freezin’ rain. Of course, we swarmed around to fill out the form like Chicago marathoners vying for water.

Eight thousand of us were on hand this day. The Air Force jet fly over was called off due to the poor weather conditions. Was this some indication of what the day would look like? After the National Anthem we went off to the start line. For some unnatural reason I climbed over the barricade to jump into the 3:30 crowd. Funny, I know. But, I was not wanting to make the same mistake I made in San Diego or at Marine Corps, (lining up too far back and fighting through waves of folks holding hands, etc). We started right in front of the State Capital building, adjacent to Civic Center Park. Great venue for a race start and finish. Anyway, as soon as the race started it began to rain again. WTH? That would be the last time there was no rain. Let’s not forget the temperature made it up to only 36 degrees that day. I don’t remember ever been so cold. I was chilled to the bone. By mile14 I remember not being able to even feel my arms. From the shoulders down people, I was completely numb. This would have been an exciting sensation if it had not been for the additional 12.2 miles I had to finish and the freakin’, freezin’ rain.

Enough on my misery, let’s talk more about the race. The route was actually very scenic. It wound through the entire city and passed by the Governor’s Mansion, Coors Field (Where the Colorado Rockies whisked their way into the World Series – on Monday the news was remarkably absent of any marathon day events because the Rockies took over the imagination of every sports fan), and the bizarre Arts Museum. See photo, this place has been known to cause vertigo in some visitors. We ran through City Park, Cheeseman Park, and Washington Park before we headed to the finish back at the Capital building.

Because of the rain I bet there was positively no bands to speak of. Imagine that, me and 8000 other people can run in the freakin’ freezin’ rain but a few bands coward at the notion of getting wet for the benefit of our entertainment. I do faintly remembering one house where there was music playing through some cheap speakers in an open doorway. I chuckled at the conscientious attitude of the Denver spectators. They were not out in full force, but they were all very friendly and supportive. It is what I’ve grown to enjoy. Chicago and New York are notoriously too crowded with fans and Tucson is simply deficient supporters whatsoever. Denver on the other hand, is just right. I imagine there would have been more, conditions permitting.

Don’t think that I have forgotten to mention that Denver is literally a mile high. For us sea level runners this is a pretty big deal. Somehow though, the freakin’, freezin’ rain overshadowed the altitude. Sure, I noticed the insufficient levels of oxygen circulating in my thighs and my lungs burned a bit after mile 18 but, it was no real big deal. I was surprised actually. I thought for certain I’d throw-up by mile 6 but, I was OK.

On the Thursday before the marathon I was in Denver and wow it was so pretty. Warm but not hot, sunny but not too bright. It was perfect.

Fridays are usually perfect for visiting marathon expos and Denver’s was no exception. The web site boasted of the over 100 vendors to expect at the expo. I’d say they were short by 50 as the ball room was pretty small in comparison to a Dallas, Marine Corps or Chicago expo. Somebody could have made a mint on selling those tyvek jackets and pants. What a missed opportunity.

I was blessed to stay with real good friends I’ve known for nearly two decades so I did not have the worries of hotel accommodations or even menus at some quaint, Italian restaurant. Another friend in Denver took me around every place I needed or wanted to go. Therefore, I did not bother with renting a car or concern myself with any transportation issues. Sorry, I have no advice on that. The official hotel was the Adams Mark though, so I’m sure it wasn’t the lowest cost place in town.

This year the Denver Marathon welcomed the disappointed and disenchanted participants of the Chicago Marathon that unceremoniously ended the previous Sunday. Interestingly enough, I met one of these at the Expo on Friday. She didn’t seem too worse for the wear, though I don’t know if she ever finished Denver. Just think about it, one week earlier these poor slobs ran the hottest marathon ever, then the very next week they face the opposite extreme. They just can’t catch a break.

Overall, a great experience. I would certainly recommend this one if you’re a fan of medium sized, fast marathons. It was not hilly at all, I remember two, mild inclines. The finishing 352 yards was a kool, downhill sweep to the tape. On my way to 50 marathons, one in each state – no, I’m not a member of any 50 in 50 club. This was a slightly ignominious marathon completion for me but, 8 down and 42 to go. Never, never, stop running.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So what was your time ?? Have you qualified for Boston ?? Consider that where I live & run ( about 4,000 ft higher than Denver...) I was prancing around in snow showers and lovin' it! Good job with the freezing drizzle stuff - that's a tough one ! Ya gotta pack Goretex when you come to Colorado, no matter what time of year or what the forecast might be.

Anonymous said...

well it is offical... I have helped create a MONSTER... Congrats on another great showing brother...by the way the race was one day after my Birthday so I like the sound of October 1- much love

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I can now spell dagnabit!!! Ruth's Chris after a marathon - I am so running Palm Beach next year! Keep running my friend, Boston is getting closer and closer! See you soon!
-Ann

Disqus for The Hard Runner's Run